Gallery Assistant | Gallery Coordinator
artterra is a newly established online art gallery and artisan shop where we curate and showcase a selection of original, one-of-a-kind artwork by emerging Canadian artists and artisans. We strive to create an online experience that is enjoyable for both artists and art buyers alike.
Our mission is twofold: to support Canadian artists early on in their careers to get known and grow, AND for art lovers and interior designers to have an easy, fun way for finding amazing art and handmade products, while supporting these artists' careers.
Our business model operates at the intersection of an art gallery, e-commerce store and online service provider for interior designers. So you’ll have the chance to learn about the operations of three different business models wrapped into one internship.
Reporting directly to the gallery owner and director, the Gallery Assistant acts as the primary support for maintaining the gallery and running the day-to-day tasks of a growing online business. This includes assisting the director in growing the gallery brand through content creation, social media management, 1:1 outreach, networking, exhibition planning and more.
The successful candidate will be working fully-remotely, overseeing the administration of the business, including, but not limited to general correspondence with artists and art buyers, supporting contracting and invoicing, as well as, preparing exhibitions and art curation for online events.
The successful candidate is an artist or art lover, interested in professional development in the art industry through building long-term relationships and looking to learn the ins and outs of running an online gallery and e-commerce shop.
- Act as the primary support for maintaining the gallery, working directly with the Gallery Director.
- 1:1 outreach to interior designers to build relationships and make sales
- Content Creation & social media management: Writing content for the blog, newsletter and social media platforms. These include Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn and Pinterest.
- Artist/Client Relations: preparing contracts and invoices, coordinating the national and international shipment of artwork.
- Working in a collaborative environment to complete art sales, including follow-ups and correspondence with clients and artists
- Assist in collection curation, including recommendations of artwork, retrieval, research, and information verification.
- Nurture existing relationships with artists, customers and interior designers and help expand the network
- Grow the gallery brand by collaborating with the Director and artists to write media releases, gallery brand copy, and establish a strong social media presence.
- Collaborate with the Director on Exhibition planning, curation, and artist selection.
- Manage daily administrative tasks
- Other duties as assigned by the Director
Who does this suit:
We are looking for dedicated, collaborative and motivated artists or art lovers who possess:
- High level of organization and initiative
- Open to networking and building relationships with new partners.
- Competent research skills and proven writing skills.
- Excellent client-facing and internal communication skills
- Flexibility to adapt to the changes of a growing business.
- Excellent troubleshooter and creative thinker.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Entrepreneurial spirit
- This is an opportunity for you to learn the ins and outs of running an online gallery
- Training and mentorship will be provided on running an e-commerce business
- Flexible hours and fully remote work
- Professional career development
- Compensation will be based on a profit-sharing model
Please fill in this application form, to apply.
This form will be open until the position is filled.
As a Canadian art gallery and artisan shop, we are dedicated to supporting the vibrancy, diversity and wellbeing of artists, artisans, curators and collectors from across the country including First Nations, Inuit and Métis peoples, alongside immigrant communities who have gathered here from around the world. We are committed to sharing their work and stories with fellow Canadians and international audiences. We strive to shed racial bias and are focused on supporting creative practices that better reflect the diversity of Canada.
We strive to create sustainable processes that have a lower carbon footprint than most retail businesses. Recognizing the need to work together to reduce the effects of climate change, we collaborate with our artists, artisans and partners to streamline our processes, reducing our carbon footprint through our shipping practices, art packaging, donations and prioritizing artwork with an environmental mission.